09 September 2008

The man can't read long passages...

...but he certainly can write them!

I'm speaking, of course, about the web article written by Nicholas Carr in which is discusses the idea that the way in which we think is being altered by our experiences with the internet. He complains that his mind has adapted to the quick series of results provided by search engines like google; small snipets of information easily read and digested.
One would think then, given his newly developed disinterest in reading long passages that perhaps he would have become disinterested in writing long passages. That assumption, unfortunately, is incorrect. His article is only just over 4000 words, but I honestly expected a shorter statement from an author who just told me he glosses over anything more than a couple of paragraphs long.
Once he told me that, I found myself gazing at the scroll bar... which had given away the length of the article well before I had begun reading.

He certainly raised some valid points, but I really did expect a more concise version! Hopefully I'm not the only one!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this post! So true.